Guest Post: Written by Casey Dickson, Rover.com community member. Rover is the nation’s largest network of 5-star pet sitters and dog walkers.
With the holidays comes a fair amount of planning…and for the most part, it’s the fun kind. What can make it even more enjoyable? Creating sweet gifts for your furry friends, straight from the comforts of home, with the comfort of knowing that you’re not breaking your back (or the bank) to do it.
Felt catnip toy ornament in holiday colors.
Whatever your holiday vision, you can create it with felt, catnip, and some simple stitching. It may just be the cutest holiday project you create this year, and your cats will go crazy for it. Here’s how to create!
Gather your materials:
1. The felt color of your choice (holiday hues welcome, naturally)
2. Contrasting embroidery thread and needle
3. Catnip of your choice
1. Cut a piece of the felt out and fold over.
2. Stitch nearly all the way around, leaving an opening that’s big enough for you to insert catnip (and big enough for your kitty to access it!)
3. Cut a hole in the felt. Then cut a piece of the ribbon, string it through the hole, and tie at the top.
4. Insert catnip in the opening.
5. Hang on the tree!
An active gift for the active pup: hike and homemade holiday treats at the top!
Sometimes the best gift you can give your pup is a romp in the wild. Make it a little extra festive by packing healthy homemade treats for a reward at the top.
Make the treats first, using…
2 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons honey
Dash of cinnamon
Combine ingredients and roll into balls. Store in the refrigerator for 3 weeks and the freezer for 3 months.
Onto the adventure…
You likely already have a ton of favorite hikes and walks on hand, but just for fun, you may want to check out this guide to dog-friendly hikes across the US.
Hmm…it looks like your holiday mantle is missing something. Complete the fireplace arrangement with stockings for your four-legged friends! Take long socks of yours, dress them up with some iron-on holiday patches, add a ribbon loop for hanging, and fill them with your furry pal’s favorite treats. Be they toys, catnip, dog bones, or a new collar, the stocking reveal will be so much more fun when the whole family is included.
As is the season of giving! Including your pets in the holiday traditions creates an even more joyful season of celebrations. We all know that one of the most important part of the holidays is spending quality time with those you love and being grateful for their presence in your life, and honoring your pet with fun treats is just as important as finding the perfect gift for your favorite humans.
Latest posts by Mom Does It All (see all)
- The World Vision Catalog: Give a Gift, Change a Life! - December 11, 2017
- 4 Modern Phone Features You didn’t Know Your Business Needs - December 8, 2017
- 7 great gift ideas for kids this holiday season! - December 5, 2017